Monday, June 4, 2012

Review | The Lobster Cave

On the weekend I was invited to The Lobster Cave for a family birthday. It was a cold wintery day in Melbourne, so it was nice to be welcomed into the warm and cosy restaurant. I haven’t been there before, but I hear that the décor had been refurbished. My favourite part about the restaurant was the ceiling – it was dark with tiny little sparkling blue lights, so it kind of gave the feeling of being under the sea!

We were on a modified version of the Ferg’s Set Menu for lunch. While we were waiting to order, we were given fantastic service for drinks, and we were also offered a delicious plate of anti-pasto. These platters included a lovely selection of toasted garlic and pesto breads, alongside some dips, cheeses and olives – my favourite combination was the olive dip with the beautiful sundried tomatoes.

For entrée I chose the Butter Poached Thai Style Calamari with organic coriander, lemongrass and a hint of chilli. I wasn’t sure what it would look like but when the plates were brought to us I was very intrigued to taste it! It was so lovely. The buttery sauce was not too rich or over powering, and the calamari was so unbelievable tender! I could really taste the flavours of coriander and lemongrass.  I would definitely recommend this dish – the flavour combinations were divine!



For the main meal I ordered the Mussel & Calamari Linguini with an olive oil, wine, garlic and chilli sauce. The seafood was so fresh and well cooked in this dish as well. The pasta was cooked perfectly, and the dish was very nice. I only wished that there had of been a little bit more flavour in the sauce – either more garlic or chilli, or even some capsicum might have been nice too. There was way too much in this dish so I couldn’t finish it, but I would also recommend it to a friend.



For dessert we shared some birthday cake, but washed it all down with a warm hot chocolate which came with marshmallows and a lovely chocolate swirl biscuit!



The Lobster Cave were nice enough to hand out a few $50 vouchers to the guests at our table, so I was happy to give it to my parents as I think they will enjoy the food and atmosphere.


Lobster Cave on Urbanspoon

No comments: