Saturday, June 9, 2012

Recipe | Bacon, Mushroom & Corn Quiche

I decided to bake a quiche to bring along to a party at my friend's house. I have used this recipe before, and it has turned out splendidly! This time however I decided to switch up the filling ingredients. You can use the egg mix recipe with any ingredients you choose to make a great tasting and quite dense quiche.


Quiche Filling Ingredients
6 Short Cut Rashers of Bacon, sliced into small pieces
6-8 Medium Mushrooms, thinly sliced
Most of a can of Corn Kernels
(In hindsight, more would not have been bad - since I love bacon! I'd say up to 10 Short Cut Rashers)


Egg Mix Ingredients
8 Eggs
1/2 Cup Pure Cream (I like to use Bulla Cooking Cream)
1/2 Cup Finely grated Parmesan Cheese


Since I was short on time, I used the frozen short crust pastry for the base.


Method
Preheat your oven at 180 degreess (fan forced).
To begin, sautée the sliced mushrooms with some garlic and butter until they are well cooked and a little golden from the butter. Then, using the same pan, fry off the bacon pieces until nice and crisp - or however you like!


Place both the mushroom and bacon aside to cool.


Grease a quiche dish (or any round oven proof dish) about 24cm in diameter and up to 3-4cm deep.
Lightly assemble the thawed pastry sheets into the dish - make sure to cut off any excess that hangs over the edge!


You will need to blind bake this pastry so that it can cook a little bit before the quiche mixture goes in it. Lay some baking paper over the pastry. We now need some kind of a weight to place on top so that it all stays flat. Usually I use a thin layer of rice - but recently my sister told me that Heston uses coins and they work great! I thought I would try that out - but unfortunately I didn't have enough coins, so I used some larger coins around the outside of the dish, and rice in the centre.




Pop this into the oven for about 10 minutes, then remove the weights and baking paper, and pop the dish back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.


While the pastry is cooking, you can mix together the ingredients for the egg mixture. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl, then mix in the cream, and then mix in the cheese until everything is nicely mixed together :)


When the pastry is a little golden and slightly crisping up, take the dish out of the oven and let it cool slightly.






Assemble the corn, bacon and mushrooms in the quiche - however you like! I scattered the corn first, then the bacon, and then layed out the mushies on top. Then give the egg mixture another quick whisk to make sure the cheese is not all at the bottom, and pour it over your dry ingredients in the quiche dish. The quiche does not really rise at all, so you can fill it as full as you like - keeping in mind you will have to carry the dish back over to the oven with no spills!!



Bake for about 40 minutes or until firm and golden on top!



Let me know in the comments below how you go!


Happy baking x



No comments: