Monday, September 10, 2012

Recipe | Blueberry Friand Slice

Mum had been wanting me to use some of the delicious frozen blueberries we had in the freezer, so on a sunny Sunday when I had nothing much else to do, I was very happy to oblige!

I found this recipe online, and it sounded perfect. It was so easy to make, and it was so good I forgot to sprinkle icing sugar over the top of it when it had cooled from the oven!

Ingredients 
1 1/4 cups icing sugar mixture
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup almond meal
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
150g margarine spread or butter, melted, cooled
4 eggwhites, lightly whisked
150g frozen blueberries
Icing sugar mixture, to serve


Method
Preheat your oven to 180°C or 160°C if your oven is fan-forced. Grease a slice tray- the recipe used a 16cm x 26cm. I'm not exactly sure how big the one I used was - but it may have been a bit bigger than that size, and there was no dramas. Line the tray with baking paper, or alternatively (if you have 3cm of baking paper left on the roll), rub butter into the tray, being sure not to forget the corners and edges.

Sift sugar, flour and baking powder into a large bowl, and then stir in the almond meal and lemon rind. I couldn't find our teaspoon measure (I'm so organised!) so I just used the rind of a normal size lemon.

Make a well in centre and add in the spread/butter and eggwhite. Stir it altogether until it is nicely combined. Then, pour the mixture into your prepared tray. Evenly sprinkle the frozen blueberries around the tray. I kind of failed with the 'evenly' part, but I think I managed to make it look nice in the end!

Ready for the oven!

Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Lift out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into pieces. Dust with icing sugar (ahem, optional!). Serve. Eat!




Let me know if you try this out! :)



No comments: